We’re relationship managers, tech leads, first responders, executives, and more—but we’re also real people (who are really fun to work with). Meet some of the people who make IronEdge Group happen and learn more about who we are and what we do all day. For our October 2017 Spotlight, meet Mark Sowden.
1. What is your role at IronEdge?
I am the Operations Center Manager
2. Where did you grow up?
I was born and raised here in the Houston area. I grew up in Crosby, Texas and made the move to the city right after I graduated.
3. Did you go to college? What was your major? Did you get a degree?
I spent 2 years in seminary and while I was paying my way through school I discovered IT. After deciding that seminary wasn’t for me, I started getting certifications and began gaining experience in the field. I’ve been working in IT ever since!
4. How did you come to work at IronEdge?
I was referred by someone who worked at IEG seven years ago. I was immediately sold on the culture. Best decision I’ve ever made!
5. What kinds of hobbies and interests do you have outside of work?
When I’m not working I enjoy cooking for my family, keeping my vegetable garden, fishing and playing golf.
6. What might (someone) be surprised to know about you? Do you have a hidden talent?
That’s tough! I guess someone might be surprised to know that I won multiple awards in school for both music and art. As far as hidden talents go I play guitar occasionally.
7. Do you have a favorite newspaper, blog, technology resource?
I occasionally read the local paper (Houston Chronicle), Reddit SysAdmin, Digital Trends
8. Do you have any pets?
Yes. I have two dogs and 9 fish. (The fish are my daughter’s)
9. What’s on your bucket list?
To travel the world, watch the Astro’s win a World Series, and to buy a bucket.
10. What do you like most about your job at IronEdge?
That’s tough. I would say that I like the interaction with the team the most.We have a great team and working with them is awesome.
11. Is there something that you think of as your first memory or something that stands out from when you started at IronEdge?
Nothing in particular. Just the feeling of instantly being a part of the team. I felt included right from the start.